If you’ve recently become disabled and unable to work in Texas, you may qualify for Social Security disability benefits. Receiving these benefits can immeasurably improve your life by reducing your need for income, allowing you to focus on healing and recovering.
These are some of the most frequently asked questions about applying for Social Security disability benefits in Texas.
How do I start applying for Social Security disability in Texas?
There are three basic ways. You can:
- Apply in person at your local Social Security office
- Apply online via the Social Security website, or
- Apply over the phone by calling 1-800-772-1213
What information will I need to provide when applying for Social Security disability?
You will be expected to provide a lot of documentation of your condition and the extent of your disabilities. Individual cases may vary, but in general, you will need:
- Your Social Security number
- Proof of your age, such as a standard ID
- Names and contact details for any healthcare providers, doctors, nurses, hospitals, etc, you have been seeing
- Dates of your visits to these providers
- Medical records and documentation of your visits and the healthcare providers’ diagnoses
- Any relevant laboratory or test results
- Names and dosages of the medications you are taking
- A summary of your recent employment history
- Your most recent W-2, or most recent Federal Tax Return if self-employed
In addition, if you are filing on behalf of family members – or multiple family members became disabled at once – you will need similar information for them, as well as proof of your relationship.
The Social Security Administration will use this information to evaluate the extent of your disability, as well as calculate the amount of benefits you are eligible to receive. Be accurate and honest! One of the most common reasons an application is rejected is due to exaggeration or overstatement.
I don’t have all the documents. Should I wait to apply?
No, start the application process as early as possible. The Social Security Administration will work with you and help you obtain missing information.
I was denied for benefits! Is there any way to get a second chance?
Absolutely! If you’ve been denied Social Security disability benefits in Texas, your next call should be to Merryl Wash Jones – the Second Chance Lawyer. We specialize in helping disabled Texans get the disability benefits they deserve!